Background

Monday, October 14, 2013

A homemade kind of weekend

We love to cook from scratch around here.  Even my husband.  Last winter I roasted a chicken and Hubster used the carcass to make chicken broth.  It was fabulous to have on hand!  We try to use the least amount of salt as possible and he made the broth completely salt free.

This weekend was another homemade kind of weekend.  I was busy Friday night and Saturday morning at church making lefse (for those of you non-Scandinavians, it is a like a tortilla but made with potatoes).  I had some other things to do on Saturday so my husband was home with the kids most of the day.  I got a text while at church of my daughter at the counter helping Hubster make pizza dough from scratch.  I came home for lunch and not only had they made the crust from scratch, but they also made the sauce.  Best part?  He used my tomato sauce that I canned earlier this fall.  YUM!! It was, handsdown, the best pizza we had eaten!  If I had the recipe, I would post it.  I'll try to get it from him...

While pampering myself at a spa party on Saturday night, I received another text picture.  This time, they were making homemade ice cream.  A few years ago, my husband got his grandmother's ice cream maker.  He loves making it with the kids!  It has to sit for a while in the freezer so we had it after dinner last night.  We didn't have any chocolate syrup so can you guess what I did?  Yep, made it myself!  I used this recipe but didn't have any vanilla extract.  It still tasted really good!  We used it right out of the pan so it was slightly runny, but the rest went in a jar in the fridge.  It will thicken as it sets.  So yummy!! 



So, did you make anything homemade this weekend?

Lynsee

No comments:

Post a Comment